Can Photographers Fly...?
Gordon H. Nagai
Camera as Metaphor
|I. Meeting 1: Photography as Meditation and Art
- Class Business and discussion of course outline. (Get ready for the ride of your life...!)
- Personal Assessment (Who's Been Looking Through My Viewfinder…?)
- Slide Presentation: Why do photography…? (Because I love it…!)
- Photography as Meditation and Process: Brain Dominance. (How not to be half-brained…!)
- Suggested Reading: Art & Fear - Ted Bayles and Bill Orland.
- Photo Assignment 1
|II. Meeting 2: Photography as Process…
- Review Photo Assignment 1. (Omigawd...!)
- The Whole Process: How to use all 40 steps involved in taking a photo. (Oh, shoot…!)
- Slide Presentation: Where do you look…? (How to look down and out…!)
- Personal Assessment: How do you look? (What is your visual voice…?)
- Two Cosmologies and My Personal World-View: Scarcity vs. Abundance.
- Beauty and the Beast. (Benefits & hazards of pursuing your passions...)
- Photo Assignment 2.
|III. Meeting 3: What Makes a Good Photograph…?
- Review Photo Assignment 2. (My developer ate it...!)
- A Good Photograph is the result of three things. (No, not dice, prayer beads, and a genie
- Three steps to finding what stirs your passions and gives you the image that is your work.
- Principles of Aesthetics ("The Rules").
- Slide Presentation: ("Mother, may I...?" - or, Rules: When, Why, and Why Not
- Photo Assignment 3.
|IV. Meeting 4: What Makes a Good Photograph Distinctive…?
- Review Photo Assignment 3. (Opps…!)
- What Drives a Picture: Elements of Composition. (Guess who's in the driver's seat…!)
- Slide Presentation: Elements of Composition. (Where the eye meets the road…)
- Photo Assignment 4.
|V. Meeting 5: Camera as Metaphor - What do You See…?
- Review Photo Assignment 4. (Ahh…!).
- Camera as Metaphor. (Point of photography is NOT to expose film…!)
- Exposure: The High Purpose of all Art. (Filing your flight plan…)
- Slide Presentation: Beauty and the Beast. (We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto...!)
- Photo assignment 5.
|VI. Meeting 6: What do You See…?
- Review Photo Assignment 5.
- Reason we do photography: To pass through the portal to a land of wonder and enchantment…
- Slide Presentation: Reprise of course concepts, models, and philosophy.
- Slide Presentation: Poetry and Song (Know thyself, then follow your heart…)
|V. Meeting 7: Where the Eye Meets the Road...
- To Fly, To Soar: Examining Poetry and Song.
- Review Photo Assignment 6.
- Slide Presentation: Good Shot, Better Shot.
- Personal Assessment II.
- Evaluation: Course and Instructor.
- Graduation: Presentation of wings…
|LANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISABILITY SERVICES:
If you need support or assistance because of a disability, you may be eligible for academic accommodations through Disability Services. For more information, contact Disability Services at (541) 463-5150 (voice) or 463-3079 (TTY), or stop by Building 1, Room 218.